Building our workforce means having distinct processes and a strong support system. For CGIA, workforce development is defined by five pillars of planning and action—Forecast, Recruit, Train, Employ, and Retain—that shape and uphold careers in construction throughout our area.
- Be the primary driver of full utilization of the Construction Market Labor Analyzer (CLMA) in the Central Gulf region.
- Coordinate with other forecasting / labor market analysis efforts in the Central Gulf region.
- Act as the development and validation agency for a single, specific, and regularly produced “of record” supply and demand forecast for the Central Gulf region.
- Promote craft professional recruiting by working closely with and levering exiting national recruiting efforts such and NCCER’s “Build Your Future” campaign and “Go Build Alabama,” as applicable by state.
- Work with highs schools, parent groups, and student groups to change public perception about careers in construction.
- Work with state and local governments to change public education policy to more accurately reflect the need for and quality of careers in construction.
- Gather best practices for recruiting skilled labor in our regions and share.
- Career Awareness Presentation
- Identify, audit, and validate existing construction workforce development programs in the Central Gulf region.
- Create a list of “CGIA Endorsed” construction workforce development programs.
- Learn more about the CGIA Endorsement Program here.
- Efficiently transition individuals from training programs to meaningful careers in the construction industry via the CGIA GradConnect Initiative.
- Our member companies strive to keep talented employees and reduce turnover by fostering a positive work atmosphere to promote engagement, showing appreciation to employees, and providing competitive pay and benefits and healthy work-life balance.
There are numerous opportunities to assist in promoting workforce development and career awareness for construction and craft professionals. Our Workforce Development Committee is charged with overseeing CGIA’s efforts regarding forecasting, recruiting, training and employment. They have created handouts for instructors to explain the benefits of partnering with our alliance and strengthening the talent pipeline to careers in industry.
The Committee has also created a handout for students to provide training pathways to careers in industry.